The MindSprouts Creative Writing Contest
A writing competition for Richland County students in Kindergarten through 12th grade!
The Ren Announces its 2013 finalists! These students' work will be showcased on the Renaissance stage on Thursday, May 23rd at 7 pm:
Kindergarten-2nd Grade Submissions:
- Zoe Daniels, 1st Grade, St. Peter's: "A New Friend"
- Gabriella Nguyen, 1st Grade, St. Peter's: "A Rainbow in the Sky "
- Adriana Bautz, 2nd Grade, St. Mary's School (Mansfield): "The Unkoalalike Koala"
Grades 3-5 Submissions:
- Brianna Ford, 3rd Grade, Madison South: "Up in the Air"
- Liam Cummins, 3rd Grade, Homeschool: "To Fly"
- Julia Rizzo, 4th Grade, St. Peter's: "Yellow"
- Maggie Allred, 5th Grade, St. Peter's: "Papely and the Magical Rainbow"
- Treasure Jones, 5th Grade, St. Mary's School (Mansfield): "Dream Big"
Grades 6-8 Submissions:
- Faith Gosser, 6th Grade, St. Mary's (Shelby): "The Magical Bubble"
- Maggie Wright, 6th Grade, St. Peter's: "What is Blue"
- Anna Dannemiller, 7th Grade, St. Mary's (Shelby): "Oh! How I Miss You, Dear Gravity!"
- Ethan Eidt, 7th Grade, St. Mary's (Shelby): "A Typical Day (If You're Superman)"
Grades 9-12 Submissions:
- Rachel Brumenschenkel, 11th Grade, Shelby H.S.: "The Artist"
Fast Facts about the MindSprouts program:
It’s FREE to you!
The program includes one “Jump Start” visit from Renaissance Educators to kick off your creative writing program with the class. Participating teachers receive a packet of activities and a resource guide to continue the program.
Submissions will be screened by Renaissance Artistic Director Michael Thomas
, playwright and writer for over three dozen major motion pictures and TV shows, including NBC's 30 Rock
The MindSprouts program culminates in May with a showcase of the top compositions from each grade band.
K-12 teachers can schedule the Renaissance staff to provide an in-class work- shop for students & teacher alike to “jump start” the creative writing process. Jump Start workshops may be scheduled for anytime November 1 through March 15th.
To schedule your MindSprouts workshop, contact:
Dauphne Maloney, Renaissance Teaching Artist/Education Assistant
419-522-2726, ext. 212 firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines for the MindSprouts Writing Contest:
All submissions must correspond to the 2013 theme: "Up in the Air!"
Students may submit up to one work in each category: short story, poem, or play.
Eligibility: Students must be in grades K-12 and attend school in Richland County.
Students may submit individually, or students may submit one collaborative work from a group of up to three students.
Submissions MUST include: student name and contact info, grade level, school.
There is no length requirement, but please note that winning submissions may be edited for time on stage during the showcase.
Deadline for submissions: all submissions must be received by the Renaissance no later than April 1, 2013. Submissions will be accepted via mail and email at the following addresses:
Ren Education Department
Attn: MindSprouts Contest
138 Park Ave. West
Mansfield, OH 44902
About the MindSprouts program:
In November 2011, the Renaissance launched its MindSprouts Creative Writing program for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. As part of the program, Richland County teachers have the opportunity for a visit from Renaissance teaching artist Dauphne Maloney to jump start the creative process. Then, students continue work on their own to create an original composition in one or more of the following categories: short story, poem, or play.